[Maize] job posting
(by Jialiang.Chen from AgReliantGenetics.com)
Tue Aug 7 13:32:53 EST 2012
Position: Research Associate in Molecular Marker Lab - GMO testing in Corn
DESCRIPTION: Under the supervision of the Molecular Marker Lab Manager, the incumbent takes initiatives and responsibilities in planning, organizing, and conducting GMO tests in corn for transgene purity, adventitious presence (AP), and zygosity analyses.
* Coordinating transgenic purity, AP, and event zygosity test requirements with our breeding and MAB (Marker Assisted Backcross) teams.
* Organizing and conducting projects, including the implementation of appropriate methodologies, depending on the assay target(s).
* Coordinating sample taking, preparation, and shipment (within and outside our GMO lab), depending on the required test.
* Supervising and participating in sample preparation, DNA extraction and quantification/normalization.
* Conducting end-point fluorescence and real time PCR for the detection of transgenic events, zygosity assays, and monitoring transgenic contamination in company seed lots.
* Data collection and analysis. Compiling GMO reports and interpreting results to the analysis requesters.
* Maintaining a seed and leaf sample inventory as well as implementing a long-term sample storage system.
* Working cohesively with the marker genotyping team for integrated projects involving flanking marker analyses.
* Routine lab duties such as purchasing and organizing chemicals, chemical stock preparation, safety labeling of hazardous materials, and lab waste disposal.
* Providing assistance in training new lab associates as required.
* Assisting in the development, technical evaluation, and implementation of new GMO assays, partly in collaboration with external GMO labs.
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND/EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
* B.Sc. or M.Sc. in the field of agricultural biotechnology.
* Knowledge in commercial corn transgenic events and practical experience in event purity and AP testing.
* Ability to design cross-checking schemes for genetic elements in a given transgenic event.
* Experience in high throughput genotyping using simplex assays is advantageous.
* Common DNA lab skills such as DNA extraction, routine PCR setup for end-point fluorescence detection and real-time PCR analysis for quantitative measurements.
* Experiences with liquid handlers and other lab automation tools are advantageous.
* Computer skills with common software are required.
* Good observation and troubleshooting as well as accurate record keeping.
* Strong bases in genetics and breeding are advantageous.
* Positive attitude towards heavy workloads under tight deadlines and ability to concurrently work on multiple tasks. Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
* Ability to work required hours.
To apply, please go to
This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please promptly notify the sender. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or otherwise copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
More information about the Maize