UH GenBank-server now distributing molbio software

Dan Davison davison at UHNIX2.UH.EDU
Thu Nov 30 14:40:45 EST 1989

	       The University of Houston GenBank-Server

now distributes molecular biology software, as announced earlier this
month by Rainer Fuchs (EMBL File Server) and Dan Davison and Jack
Chappelear (UH GenBank-Server).  The server has software for DOS, Mac,
Unix, and VAX/VMS machines.  A brief summary of commands follows.  In
the next few weeks, we will be adding (1) the Toolpack Fortran
programming tools, and (2) daily updates of the GenBank-Server.  We
also may have anonymous FTP access some time next spring.

We intend to have a common command set with the EMBL File Server.
At the moment the commands are close, but are not yet identical.

Commands for GenBank entries:
HELP
SEND INDEX
SEND LOCUS <locusname> <locusname> ...
SEND ACCESSION <accession number> <accession number>

Software commands:

SEND DOS INDEX
SEND MAC INDEX
SEND UNIX INDEX
SEND VMS INDEX

SEND DOS HELP
SEND MAC HELP
SEND UNIX HELP
SEND VMS HELP

SEND DOS <filename.uue> <filename.uue> ...
SEND MAC <filename.hqx> <filename.hqx> ...
SEND UNIX <filename> <filename>
SEND VMS <filename> <filename>

Commands to the server can be in upper, lower or mixed case.  They
can appear in the Subject: line or in the body of the message.  If
they appear in both you will get two copies.

Software notes:
- The DOS files require some decoding; see the DOS HELP message.
- The Mac files require Stuffit 1.5.1 or later, which is not available
   on the server at the moment.  (BinHex 4.0 or later may also work).
- The Unix files will be delivered as "shar" files.

Internet address: genbank-server at uhnix2.uh.edu
BITNET address:   genbank-server%uhnix2.uh.edu at CUNYVM
UUCP:             genbank-server at uhnix2.UUCP

The server has been successfully accessed from most networks around
the world.  Questions or problems can be directed to davison at uh.edu,
Internet, or DAVISON at UHOU, BITNET.

dan davison
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU
myself.  GenBank is a trademark of the National Institutes of Health.