net-etiquette, bandwidth, and posting to this newsgroup

Joe Smith jes at
Sat Aug 4 17:14:42 EST 1990

> 1) Do you think that there is too much noise on the bionet bulletin
> boards, or too little content?

At the risk of contradicting myself - no, I don't think noise, or the
cost of a few extra lines in a message are really that important.  I
do think that careful quoting (as you did in your response!) is 1)
polite: it saves the reader's time in (re-)reading some excess
verbiage and instead gets right to the point; and 2) it forces the
poster to consider carefully what the other person really said.

[ I said readers could retrieve the quoted article and you quoted DK
who said it might not be easy for those getting the groups by e-mail ]

If some other reader really needs the whole article and can't retrieve
it, s*he can always ask the group or the poster to send it.

I really appreciate the considered, intelligent discussion that
occurrs.  I'm really annoyed when people fire off questions/
dozens... several - DK? - other's as well).

I was real hesitant to post a followup because I've been guilty as
well, but I want to see the *quality* of the bionet groups go up as
well as the quantity.  That seemed like a goal worth persuing in

> 2) Do you consider this discussion of value?  Why or why not?

Probably not.  I've said my piece (or maybe shot just my mouth off!).
You hit the nail on the head: scientists will use the groups when they
percieve a concrete benefit.  I've asked for and recieved information
and advice enough times to know that it's worth it as long as I don't
spend too much time just BS'ing.  The more we who like, as well as
benefit from, the groups just USE them INTELLIGENTLY, the more useful
and attractive they will be.

 Joe Smith
 University of Pennsylvania                    jes at
 Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics          (215) 898-8348
 Philadelphia, PA 19104-6059