Agrobacterium tumefaciens

LAFLAMME at MAINE.BITNET LAFLAMME at MAINE.BITNET
Mon Dec 10 17:16:32 EST 1990

I have worked with A. tumefaciens and I have found them to be fairly
easy to handle.  Most of the ones I have used are common plant
transformation strains so I dont have any special information for
you if you are using wild strains.   Most of these grow at 28 degrees
or so in simple media such as LB.  They do grow fairly slowly and tend to
clump together so dont expect a nice culture like you might get with
E coli.   Some of these strains carry antibiotic resistance genes on
the Ti plasmids so it might be wise to include it if loss of the
plasmid is of concern to you (but i suspect that it would be difficult
to lose such a large plasmid).   If you have any other questions please
feel free to contact me directly, if I cant help you I can probably
point you in the right direction.

*  Dan Laflamme            *                                        *
*  Dept. of Biochemistry   *                                        *
*  University of Maine     *                                        *
*  Orono, Maine 04469      *                                        *
*  (207) 582-2818          *                                        *