PCR errors

dan at wystan.bsd.uchicago.edu dan at wystan.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 25 01:40:44 EST 1990

In article <90Jun19.121836edt.57833 at ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>, FS300506 at yusol.bitnet writes:
>Information is needed regarding the following question:
>
>Can spontaneous errors during PCR result in deletions / inversions /
>duplications ?

	Although I have not had it happen to me, I have heard from Cetus that
inverted duplications do occur in the PCR.  It seems that Taq polymerase has
some trouble when it encounters double-stranded regions.  The enzyme sometimes
"jumps" from the leading strand to the lagging strand in replication fork-like
structures and starts copying back down the opposite strand.  I don't know how
often this occurs, Cetus may have more info.  Other than that, I have not heard
of these kinds of errors in the PCR.

						Dan Rohwer-Nutter
						The University of Chicago
						Department of Neurology
						dan at wystan.bsd.uchicago.edu

	     "I'll take the job if the office has a window."