king-size-cloning

fred FRED at blekul13.bitnet
Tue Jun 26 07:34:30 EST 1990

Anybody out there?
In these grim times a bit of fun: one of my co-workers is cloning
the gene coding for one of the Murinoglobulins (which are
A2M like proteinase inhibitors). We have isolated a lot of genomic
clones in a lambda vector and from there are now subcloning into pUC.
Nothing too exciting about that, I hear you think. Right.
The fun thing is that she has managed to clone a 9 kB SacI fragment
into the 2.7 kB pUC vector and that the thing is behaving completely
normal in our E.Coli as if it was not 11.7 kB big. Our question now:
is this the world record or are we too optimistic? Unless someone
says that these vectors can do more than expected we want to believe
that this is an exceptionally big insert for pUC. Is this
KING-SIZE-CLONING or not?
FRED at BLEKUL13
Acknowledge-To: <FRED at BLEKUL13>