nitroreductase

DID1290 at NRCVM01 DID1290 at NRCVM01
Mon Mar 26 09:53:40 EST 1990

WHOOPS.... SORRY, THE NET ADDRESS IN THE SIG was wrong.. (HEY.. IT WASN'T MY SI
G.. DON'T BLAME ME..).. ANY WAY.. HERE IT IS AGAIN....
NITROREDUCTASE IN FUNGI
Our group is presently studying the metabolism of a series of
nitro-imidazoles in a strain of fungi (Cunninghemalla
echinulata, a soil fungi).  This strain was chosen because it
contains a cyt P-450 which can mimic mammalian metabolic
processes.  We have detected and characterized a number of
metabolites resulting from oxidative metabolism, but we are
also very interested in those metabolites resulting from
nitro-reduction.  An extensive literature search did not
reveal anyone who has investigated the presence of nitro-
reductases in  these (or other fungi),  I realize that yeasts
and bacteria (especially GUT bacteria) have relatively large
amounts of nitro-reductases, but I was hoping to perhaps use
my fungal system for nitro-reduction.  Has anyone out there
been able to manipulate fungi into forcing metabolism to
nitro-reduction?.. It may involve using a different strain of
Fungi?.. use of a crude extract from the fungi?... or maybe
manipulation of the growth media?... Any ideas?.. or
comments?..........

*  Paul Andrews                             DID1290 at vm.nrc.ca (BITNET)  *
*  Health and Welfare Canada                                            *
*  Health Protection Branch                                             *
*  Sir Frederick Banting Building                                       *
*  Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA                            *