NITROREDUCTASE

PAUL ANDREWS DID1290 at NRCVM01
Fri Mar 23 09:39:15 EST 1990

NITROREDUCTASE IN FUNGI
Our group is presently studying the metabolism of a series of
nitro-imidazoles in a strain of fungi (Cunninghemalla
echinulata, a soil fungi).  This strain was chosen because it
CONTAINS A CYT P-450 WHICH CAN MIMIC MAMMALIAN METABOLIC
processes.  We have detected and characterized a number of
metabolites resulting from oxidative metabolism, but we are
also very interested in those metabolites resulting from
nitro-reduction.  An extensive literature search did not
reveal anyone who has investigated the presence of nitro-
reductases in  these (or other fungi),  I realize that yeasts
and bacteria (especially GUT bacteria) have relatively large
amounts of nitro-reductases, but I was hoping to perhaps use
my fungal system for nitro-reduction.  Has anyone out there
been able to manipulate fungi into forcing metabolism to
nitro-reduction?.. It may involve using a different strain of
Fungi?.. use of a crude extract from the fungi?... or maybe
manipulation of the growth media?... Any ideas?.. or
comments?..........

*  PAUL ANDREWS                             DID1290 at NRC.VM.CA           *
*  Health and Welfare Canada                                            *
*  Health Protection Branch                                             *
*  Sir Frederick Banting Building                                       *
*  Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA                            *