RNA to cDNA then PCR

rdonis at crcvms.unl.edu rdonis at crcvms.unl.edu
Wed Oct 24 14:36:46 EST 1990

-Message-Text-Follows-
We are amplifying a viral RNA by PCR. This requires an initial
reverse transcription from RNA to cDNA. We set up a control in which
this reverse transcription was carried out without primers. After
amplification by PCR we see that the cDNA prepared without primers
actually works *better* than with them. I was expecting a negative
result in the PCR amplification  of cDNA prepared without primers.
Since we are using viral RNA extracted from infected cells it may be
that there is a cellular RNA/DNA that primes reverse transcription.
Has anybody seen something like this?
Thank you for your comments, if numerous I will post summary to net.
Ruben Donis
University of Nebraska
rdonis at crcvms.unl.edu
rdonis at unlvax1.bitnet