Question about reverse transcriptase(s)

Ashok Aiyar axa12 at po.CWRU.Edu
Sun Aug 4 01:06:34 EST 1991

Hello:

I have a question/survey about reverse transcriptases.

There are two enzymes that are commercially available, the MuLV
 and AMV reverse transcriptases (RTs).

The differences between the two are as follows:

	AMV					MuLV

a) 2 subunits				1 subunit
b) active 45 degrees			active 42 degrees
c) optimum temp = 42 degrees		optimum temp = 37 degrees
d) contains intrinsic 			no endonuclease activity
     endonuclease
e) No RNase H mutant is			RNase mutant  is
     commercially available		sold commercially
f) Purified from virions		Bacterially produced
g) The AMV enzyme is supposed to have greater processivity than
	the MuLV enzyme

As part of my Ph.D, I am in the process of cloning the two subunits of
the avian enzyme (AMV RT).  I am also making some mutations in the
enzyme, including one that knocks out the intrinsic endonuclease.

Although there is no reason for me to do this, I could also fairly
easily make one that knocks out the RNase H activity, without
affecting processivity.  If I made this mutation, I would be interested
in making it freely available.

My question is:

"Given your choice of the following 4 enzymes for a cDNA synthesis,
	or primer extension experiment, which would you use?"

a) Native MuLV RT (no endonuclease, possesses RNase H)
b) Altered MuLV RT (no endonuclease, RNase H knocked out)
c) Native AMV RT (intrinsic endo, possesses RNase H)
d) Altered AMV RT (no endonuclease, RNase H knocked out)

Please mail your response and comments to axa12 at po.cwru.edu

Thank you,

Ashok Aiyar
Graduate Student in Biochemistry
Department of Biochemistry
CWRU Medical School
Cleveland, OH 44106-4935

Disclaimer:

My views (and deeds) are my own, and Case Western Reserve University
is not responsible for any of them.
--
Ashok Aiyar
axa12 at po.cwru.edu