Transformation of Dam(+) DNA into a DAM(-) strain.

num255 at MBDS.NRC.CA num255 at MBDS.NRC.CA
Sat Aug 3 10:33:15 EST 1991

To: Ashok Aiyar

Years ago we tested several dcm- dam- E.coli for their transformation ability.We found that none of them was suitable for primary transformation from a ligation mix and that GM272 was several logs better in its efficiency of transformation for purified plasmids than the other strains tested.

This was done a while ago and I do not have a reprint of our paper in front of me, but you can check the strain that we eventually preffered in the following reference:

Roy,C., Knaak,C., Garvie, P., Limmer, B. and Campione-Piccardo, J. Ribonucleic acid probes spanning the entire genome of the human immunodefficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1). Biochem. Cell Biol., 67: 510-515 (1989).

I hope thit will be of any help.

Jose Campione-Piccardo
Natl. Lab. Viral Oncol.
Ottawa, Ont. CANADA K1A 0L2