phylogenetic tree

Stefan Marx SMARX at biolan.uni-koeln.de
Fri Aug 30 10:23:19 EST 1991

Hey,
I`m working with the programm package HUSAR in Heidelberg, especially
with the subprogramm TREE.(D.F. Feng and R.F. Doolittle, J.Mol.Evol.
25,351(1987)).
I've made a phylogenetic tree of 9 aa-sequences and it had been as I've
expected it.
The branches of the tree are of different length with numbers, characterising
the branch length.
Now I need a basis for explaining the different numbers. All I know is, that
they represent distance scores, but I do'nt know their exact meaning.
Does anyone know if these numbers are relative units, or are they ment as
mutation events?
Thank's
Stefan