Counterstaining question

Garrett H. Riggs GHRIGG01 at ULKYVM.bitnet
Sun Dec 8 12:56:04 EST 1991

Hello everyone.

I have 75 u sections of rat brain reacted with TMB to show HRP in the
neocortex.  I counterstain with either cresyl violet (5%) or neutral
red (1%).  Occasionally I get a number of sections in which the stain
appears "blotchy," i.e., some areas are stained either normally (with
neutral red) or too dark (cresyl violet), while other areas are
virtually unstained.  This happens much more often with cresyl violet.

I have tried filtering the old solutions, and even making the solutions
up fresh.  I have triple checked the concentrations of all reagents,
stock solutions, etc., etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Garrett Riggs
BITNET: GHRIGG01 at ULKYVM
INTERNET: GHRIGG01 at ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU

Department of Anatomical Sciences and Neurobiology
University of Louisville School of Medicine
Louisville, Kentucky  40292  USA