ELISA for DNA/RNA?

frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Tue Feb 19 17:38:45 EST 1991

Has anybody come up with a way of fixing DNA or RNA to the bottoms of
microtiter plate wells? Say, for example you wanted to fix total RNA
samples from a large number of tissue samples (eg. a timecourse
experiment), and then hybridize with a biotinylated probe. Next add
streptavidin-conjugated alkaline phosphatase, and substrate, and read the
result in your microtiter plate reader.  Essentially  we're talking about
an ELISA for DNA.

---------|           |-----------
         |   %%%%%   | streptavidin-conjugated enzyme
          \  ----   / biotinylated antisense RNA probe
           \ ~~~~  /  unlabeled total RNA (fixed to plate)
            ------

This is such an obvious idea that I would think there must be a kit
somewhere for it, but I don't recall having seen it in the literature.

Brian Fristensky                | What can literature do against the pitiless
Department of Plant Science     | onslaught of naked violence? Let us not for-
University of Manitoba          | get that violence does not and cannot flourish
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    | by itself; it is inevitably intertwined with
frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca          | LYING... Lies can stand up against much in
Office phone:   204-474-6085    | world, but not against art.
FAX:            204-275-5128    |     Alexander Solzhenitsyn, NOBEL LECTURE