prokaryote vs eukaryote

Mike Smith mws%molly at SDSC.EDU
Mon Jul 22 15:16:39 EST 1991

A reply to the following question:

>I am not sure if this is the appropriate group for my question but here it >goes:.
>I have a 3.0 Kb cDNA clone that was picked from a tomato cDNA library by >functional
>complementation of a deletion mutant in Escherichia coli. My problem is
>that I have not been able to eliminate the possibility of having picked up a
>bacterial gene that was present as a contaminant in the tomato library.  I have
>several reasons to suspect that in fact I have a prokaryotic gene.(Very strong
>promoter that works well in complementation experiments in E coli, two proteins
>seen in maxi-cell experiments)
>I would appreciate any hints or advice that could help me identify this gene
>as Eukaryotic or prokaryotic.
>Please answer directly to me.  Thank You
>M Garcia-Rios
>MGG at Bilbo.bio.purdue.edu
>Name: MARIO G
>Biological Sciences
>Purdue University

I have a solution if some additonal information is available.  A comparison of
this gene to known eukaryotic and prokaryotic counterparts seems worthwhile.
The sequence, preferably amino acid, is probably most similar to either
another eukaryotic or prokaryotic sequence depending on its origin.

Hope that the appropriate data are available.

mike

  *             Salk Institute for Biological Studies               *
  * Molecular genetics Laboratory     phone: (619)453-4100, ext 376 *
  * P. O. Box  85800                  fax:   (619)558-9513          *
  * San Diego, CA   92138             E-mail: mws at molly.sdsc.edu    *