Perfect Match polymerase enhancer

Ashok Aiyar axa12 at po.CWRU.Edu
Fri Jul 12 14:44:20 EST 1991

In Article # 674  friedman at writes:
> I was wondering if anyone has used Stratagene's Perfect Match
> polymerase enhancer.  Is it worth the cost and energy needed to
> optimize reaction conditions?
> -Rich
> friedman at
To begin with, I have not used Perfect Match PCR enhancer from
Stratagene.  However, I have used Tetramethyl Ammonium Chloride,
and I believe that this is what Perfect Match is.
It costs about $30 for 500 gms from Fisher, and stinks to high heaven.
I titrated it between 10 uM (micromolar) and 1 nanomolar leaving all
other conditions the same.
At the time we were using it as we had been told that it is useful in
amplifying sequences with considerable secondary structure.  It did
not work for this purpose.  We did find alternate cycling conditions
I do not know how efficient it is in handling 3' mismatches,
but Stratagene's claims have been very impressive.
Ashok Aiyar
axa12 at
aiyar at