Messenger Affinity Paper

WHITSITT, MARK STEVEN msw1633 at sigma.tamu.edu
Tue Jul 9 10:52:37 EST 1991

In article <0094B4BF.4A5AE080 at m44.unm.edu>, kim at m44.unm.edu writes...
>I have been looking into a method for Poly(A+) selection using a paper
>substrate linked to poly(U) called Hybond-mAP (AMERSHAM).  I am told (by
>AMERSHAM technical support) that mAP has a small but loyal following, and I was
>wondering if anyone out there has used it.  Is it as easy and effective as
>advertised?
>          Thanks in advance for your comments.
>Daniel Kim

Yes, I have used the Hybond-mAP paper.  I liked it ok, but it has llimitations.
The biggest being that only small quantities can easily be isolated.  It is also
kind of cost restrictive.  I don't remember of have readily available numbers
regarding the yields, but I believe that Amersham's numbers are pretty accurate.

I required much larger quantities of Poly(A+) mRNA so I resorted to an oligo-dT-
cellulose batch method for isolation of the RNA.

Good luck.  There are likely others out theree with better suggestions and
anecdotes.

Mark S. Whitsitt, N5RJF        Texas A&M University, Dept of Biochemistry
Bitnet:  MSW1633 at TAMSIGMA  		  College Station, Tx. 77843-2128
Internet:  MSW1633 at SIGMA.TAMU.EDU 			   (409) 845-0832
Packet:  N5RJF @ KE5HE.TX.USA.NA
   "You can't throw darts when you're empty, man" -- another Schadelism