recA- strain

TAN at CUMULI.vmsmail.ethz.ch TAN at CUMULI.vmsmail.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 14 10:57:35 EST 1991

Dear Borries,
    Stratagene sells their SURE strain which is uvrC umuC sbcC recJ recB
endA ... .   We have used it as the host for plasmids that contain
multiple repeats and have found it to be better than HB101 for maintaining
these plasmids.  Recombination still occurs, but less frequently.  On
the downside, the SURE strain grows very slowly.
    If you hear about other recombination deficient strains that are
effective in maintaining plasmids with multiple repeats, I would be
very interested to learn about them.
    Best regards.

Song Tan
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biophysics
ETH - Honggerberg
8093 Zurich
Switzerland
email:  TAN at CUMULI.VMSMAIL.ETHZ.CH