(none)

Mike Smith mwsmith at UCSD.EDU
Wed Mar 13 19:43:14 EST 1991

     Has anyone tried the Strataclean resin from Stratagene?  Today I used
this resin in a alkaline lysis miniprep method.  Basically the resin is used
to bind up protein from the cellular extract instead of a phenol chloroform
extraction.  Stratagene claims that the miniprep DNA is suitable for digestions
and sequencing.  The miniprep DNA did cut with SstI, but I wonder if the
background RNA will interfere with sequencing.
*****I have several questions for the BB:  *****
1) Has DNA purified using this resin worked for sequencing in anyones hands??
2) Is Stratagene the only source?  The resin is priced at $0.55-0.77/miniprep.
     Seems like a steep price for a reagent that they probably can make
     by the bucketful, and later sell in 3ml and 9ml packages.

    I have no financial connection to the manufacturer.  Just looking for a
less toxic approach to isolating DNA.

Mike
        |       Center for Molecular Genetics            |
	|       9500 Gilman Drive                        |
	|       University of California, San Diego      |
        |       La Jolla, CA  92093-0634                 |