Probing Western blots

Thu Mar 21 09:42:07 EST 1991

I have recently received details of a chemiluminescent substrate for
alkaline phosphatase (AMPDD - Boehringer) which can be used to visualize
nucleic acids on Northern & Southern blots. Boehringer tell me that they
are unaware of any reports of its use to localize protein bands on
Western blots after incubation with antibody conjugated to alkaline
phosphatase. I should like to hear from anyone who has tried this - are
there particular problems that preclude its use on protein blots?

Noel Morgan.

Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Keele, Staffs U.K.
Email: bia60 at