Vacuum pumps for gel drying

PHILLIPSA at lars.afrc.ac.uk PHILLIPSA at lars.afrc.ac.uk
Wed May 29 07:36:00 EST 1991

I've never been in a laboratory which has a wholly satisfactory
system for drying polyacrylamide and agarose gels. The BioRad gel
dryers are fine, it's the vacuum pumps which present the problem.
Most labs I've been in use in-line vapour traps to remove the corrosive
solvents, but these don't seem to be very efficient and the vacuum pump
has a limited life even with frequent oil changes. Our present system
uses an Aquavac, which (as I understand it) is a water vacuum pump driven
by high-pressure water. This is OK, but doesn't give the greatest vacuum
and ours needs replacing anyway.
To get to the point, I've come across literature for a pump made by
Genevac, which uses a Cole pump system. This seems ideal (although not
cheap), as it has few moving parts and is highly corrosion-resistant.
Has anyone experience of this type of pump with corrosive vapours?
Can someone recommend a better system?

Thanks for your help

Andy Phillips
Long Ashton Research Station, Bristol, UK
JANET: PHILLIPS at UK.AC.AFRC.LARS
EARN/BITNET: PHILLIPSA at LARS.AFRC.AC.UK