nylon membrane

John Nash num208jn at MBDS.NRC.CA
Thu Nov 14 10:22:49 EST 1991

In article <E5A1E61A99FF40891A at twnas886.bitnet>, YHSUN at imb.as.tw writes:
>I would like to hear comments on (1) comparison on charged nylon vs. non-
>charged nylon membrane, (2) What are the critical factors of the various
>manufacturer's conditions for blotting, hybridization, and washing? Are
>they really critical? Or the standard method works? (3) Has anyone used 1M
>ammonium acetate for blotting with nylon membranes?
>Thanks.
>
>Y. Henry Sun
>Institute of Molecular Biology
>Academia Sinica
>Taiwan

I don't know the answer to (1) and (2), but I use Amersham's Hybond-N
membrane for Southerns dot blots and colony/phage lifts, and I've
mostly used ammonium acetate as my neutralize and transfer solution.
I've not noticed a difference compared to Tris-HCl neutralize and SSC
or SSPE transfer buffer.

cheers,
John Nash                          |  Internet: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Institute for Biological Sciences  |   or: num208jn at mbds.nrc.ca
National Research Council of Canada|  Ottawa,  Canada  K1A 0R6.
==>  Disclaimer:  All opinions are mine, not NRC's!  <==