Elution of DNA from agarose gels

gvacano at eagle.wesleyan.edu gvacano at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Sat Nov 16 11:59:22 EST 1991

K.R. Raj writes:

>I am quite tired of electroeluting DNA out of agarose. Could
>anyone suggest a better way other than using the geneclean kit ?
>                  Thankyou.
>                                               kraj at uk.ac.crc

	I use a method presented in Trends in Genetics, June 1990, 6(6). The
basic procedure is to make a small hole in the bottom of a 500 ul tube (I use a
22 guage needle), place a small amount of siliconized glass wool in the bottom,
then place the gel slice (from a 1% gel) inside the tube. Remove the cap, place
the tube in a 1.5 ml eppendorf tube, and spin in a microfuge at 6000 rpm for 10
minutes. The collected DNA is then purified by phenol:chloroform then
chloroform extractions and ethanol precipitation. You can expect a recovery of
over 90% for fragments from 100 to 3000 base pairs, and a slightly lower
recovery above this range. DNA collected by this method is quite adequate for
subcloning and for preparation of radio-labeled probes.

Guido Vacano