How to grow bacteria in microtiter wells?

Dennis J. Templeton djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Fri Nov 15 17:37:34 EST 1991

In a previous article, BI599077 at BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU (Chun Liang) says:

>Does anyone know how to grow bacteria directly in microtiter plates, with
>glycerol already in the growth medium?  Do you shake the plate while growing?
>Is the growth media different than LB?  We are making a library and this would
>really help us out.
>                                       Thanks.
>
>                                              Chun Liang

I saw a method for this written by Brian Seed (Mass Gen Hosp) in *I think*
an early version of the "Red Book" (Current Protocols...)

He grew in a medium supplemented with iron salts... and explained why they
helped make up for lack of aeration.  This was for doing minipreps... but
it seems similar.

On the other hand, for storing a library, you don't need LOTS  of bugs...
you might try just growing in LB (or maybe even LB +20%glycerol) and seeing
what kind of density you get.... I'll bet it works

Please repost your findings...

dennis