nitrocellulose,nylon and baking

John Nash num208jn at MBDS.NRC.CA
Fri Nov 8 11:29:14 EST 1991

In article <9111081440.AA14796 at calvin.jci.tju.edu>, buchberg at CALVIN.JCI.TJU.EDU (Dr. Art Buchberg) writes:
>I've been doing this stuff for several years and still do not know the facts behind the variety of techniques that can be done to immobilize DNA(or RNA) to filters
>What is the truth, and the explanation.

I hope we find out here over the next few days.. if we all compare
experiences we may glean something ;-) !

>Can you uv Xlink Nitrocellulose?

My Hybond booklet says that HybondC (Amersham's nc) may catch fire if
you try, so I never have.

>Can you bake nylon, (either charged or uncharged)
>or do you really have to do anyhting for nylon membranes.

I mostly bake my nylon filters (uncharged), but occasionally xlink
them if I only have one or two to do.  I've never noticed any
difference either way, results-wise.  I did come across a paper (but I
can't remember where, just now) that did find a difference between
fixing/baking and "no treatment" - "no treatment" worked, but the
other two worked much better.

>Does anyone have the One answer, or is it do what you want to do...
>Sincerely
>Art Buchberg

cheers,
John Nash                          |  Internet: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Institute for Biological Sciences  |   or: num208jn at mbds.nrc.ca
National Research Council of Canada|  Ottawa,  Canada  K1A 0R6.
==>  Disclaimer:  All opinions are mine, not NRC's!  <==