Prep-a-Gene

Dennis J. Templeton djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Thu Nov 21 10:15:15 EST 1991

In a previous article, BACKD at QUCDN.QueensU.CA () says:

>I purchased 10-15 lbs of glass powder for ~$20 several years ago.
>Needless to say we don't bother reusing glass milk.
>My source was:
>              Cutter Ceramics
>              11908 Old Baltimore Pike
>              Beltsville, MA.
>              20705
>Ask for 325 mesh powdered flint glass fines.
>Don Back
>Department of Biochemistry
>Queen's University
>Kingston, Ontario

Sigma Chemicals sells powdered silica (also known as flint) for about $15 for
500 g. This is the stuff we use for this... Don't get the _fumed_ silica
that's too small.

You have to do a size (1-g sedimentation) cut taking the powder that
settles out between 2 mins and 60 mins, then boil it all in 10 volumes of
50% nitric acid for an hour, and wash extensively.

You'll make enough for yourself and all your friends for a millenium

good luck

dennis