Electroporators for bacterial transformation

PHILLIPSA at LARS.AFRC.AC.UK PHILLIPSA at LARS.AFRC.AC.UK
Fri Nov 8 04:12:00 EST 1991

I'm considering buying an electroporator for routine transformation
of E.coli (XL1blue, DH5alpha etc) with plasmids and plasmid
ligations, to try to increase the number of transformants from
"difficult" cloning experiments. I need to know:
1. Do these machines really produce the advertised yield per ug (eg.
   1010) ie. are they worth having?
2. How easy are they to use/optimise?
3. Who sells the best (or, more importantly, best value) electroporator?

Is there anybody out there who can help me?

Thanks - Andy Phillips (EARN: PHILLIPSA at LARS.AFRC.AC.UK)
         AFRC-IACR Long Ashton Research Station
         Bristol BS18 9AF, UK