Electroporators for bacterial transformation

Michael Benedik bchs1b at ELROY.UH.EDU
Fri Nov 8 10:10:08 EST 1991

In article <9111080914.AA01786 at genbank.bio.net>, PHILLIPSA at LARS.AFRC.AC.UK writes:
>I'm considering buying an electroporator for routine transformation
>of E.coli (XL1blue, DH5alpha etc) with plasmids and plasmid
>ligations, to try to increase the number of transformants from
>"difficult" cloning experiments. I need to know:
>1. Do these machines really produce the advertised yield per ug (eg.
>   1010) ie. are they worth having?
>2. How easy are they to use/optimise?
>3. Who sells the best (or, more importantly, best value) electroporator?
>
>Is there anybody out there who can help me?
>
>Thanks - Andy Phillips (EARN: PHILLIPSA at LARS.AFRC.AC.UK)
>         AFRC-IACR Long Ashton Research Station
>         Bristol BS18 9AF, UK

1) Yes they do work. Have not really measured transformants per microgram
but we usually get at least 10X more than by transformation.
2) Very easy to use. Probably do not need to optimize much at all for
E. coli since the standard conditions work fine.
3) Best value probably depends upon the price and discount your local
sales rep gives you. If you are only going to use it for bacteria be sure
not to buy any special attachments for mammalian cells etc.