Detection of CA repeat polymorphisms.

roger at roger at
Wed Oct 23 11:57:21 EST 1991

	I am beginning to use polymorphic dinucleotide repeats (CA
repeats) as genetic markers. I understand there are some technical
problems which may occur.  I am confused by the proliferation of
methods for detection of the PCR products, e.g.--

	1. Ethidium staining of ds DNA on agarose gels
	2. Using labelled dNTP or labelled primers followed by use of
	   denaturing (urea +/- formamide) gels, then ARG.
	3. Running ss DNA on non-denaturing gels which will separate
	   the CA strand from the TG strand.

I would appreciate any technical tips that would assist in
the detection of polymorphic CA repeat sequences.

Roger C. Green,	Faculty of Medicine                      Phone: (709)737-6884
Memorial University , St. John's, Newfoundland.          FAX  : (709)737-7010