Largest deletion leaving a functional protein

micprf at lure.latrobe.edu.au micprf at lure.latrobe.edu.au
Fri Oct 11 21:29:53 EST 1991

Greetings,
	A colleague of mine was telling me recently about a cloned gene
that encoded a truncated protein (I can't remember what it was) which
remained functional in the phenotypic test despite having 45% of its
sequence gone (C terminal end I think). This has me wondering how common
it is for proteins missing large parts of the original sequence to remain
functionally intact, and what the record is for the largest deletion
that still left a functional gene product. I thought this might be a fun
topic for discussion on the net.		Cheers, Paul Fisher.