insects in amber

Nina Marble nmarble at zeus.calpoly.edu
Thu Oct 24 21:36:29 EST 1991

Hello Netters,

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with extraction of DNA
from specimens embedded in amber?  I have heard that the tissues
usually have been eaten by bacteria embedded with the insect, and
that all that remains is an empty exoskeleton.

I am turning to the net not from laziness, but because our library
hours here have been cut because of the budget crisis.  The library
closes at 5:00 on Friday and doesn't open again until 1:00 pm on
Sunday.

Any help would be appreciated.  I will post a summary of the replies
if anyone is interested.

Nina

--
nmarble at pan.calpoly.edu (Nina Marble)     "The whole subject area is rife
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo                  with speculation and half-baked