insects in amber

Nina Marble nmarble at zeus.calpoly.edu
Thu Oct 24 21:49:31 EST 1991

Has anyone extracted DNA from insects that were preserved in amber?
I have heard that the tissue/cells are usually eaten by bacteria
that were present with the insect was embedded, and all that remains
is an empty exoskeleton.

I am not posting from laziness, but because our library is closed from
5:00 Friday evening until 1:00 Sundays due to budget cutbacks.

I will post a summary if anyone is interested.
--
nmarble at pan.calpoly.edu (Nina Marble)     "The whole subject area is rife
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo                  with speculation and half-baked