Cloning simulation

++ MBLRA at rose.uib.no
Sun Sep 15 07:30:33 EST 1991

In <23947.9109141923 at crc.ac.uk> sbhattac at mrc-crc.ac.uk writes:

> Does anyone know of a good cloning simulation program for the pc or unix?
> I've tried "easyclone" from EMBL, but this not does cope with more than a
> single enzyme.

I (and several of my colleagues) have used CLONE (now in version3) for
pc (MS-DOS), a program from:
   Scientific & Educational Software             [S&E]
   P.O.Box 440
   State Line, PA 17263, USA
   Phone: (717) 597-5307

CLONE is actually a plasmid-manager which can handle both sequence-
and non-sequence based data (also in combination). CLONE has a lot
of restriction-enzymes as well as Klenow and exonucleases (5' and 3') for
making blunt-ends, - and you may chose orientation of insert-ligation
(when appropriate). CLONE also permits definition of FEATURES like
genes and markers (=single pos). There are also options for graphical
oputput of plasmids (probably best on a HP Laser) - and S&E have recently
released a follow-up to CLONE which is a plasmid graphical presentation
manager. I can recommend CLONE !

CLONE 3 is described in:
  Peterson,E.A. and Ward,D.F. (1990) CLONE 3: plasmid drawing and
  clone management software program for microcomputers.
  BioTechniques [Jun 1990] 8(6):690-693

After all this, I guess it is important for me to state that:
  I am not affiliated with, and I do not have any economic interests or
  other connections with Scientific & Educational Software.
  The contents of this letter should therefore be regarded an
  independent "product review".

Rein -*

                                                    September 15 1991
Rein Aasland                        | Tlf.: +47-5-544516
Center of Biotechnology             | Fax.: +47-5-314952
University of Bergen                | E-mail: aasland at bio.uib.no
HiB                                 |
Norway                              | Street adress: Thormohlens gt 55