Dry Ice Hazard

Alan Christensen christa at rocky8.rockefeller.edu
Wed Apr 29 14:34:21 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr29.160448.18995 at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gchacko at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (George W Chacko) writes:

>We have a walk-in -20C storage place and people store dry ice left
>over from shipments in there. Is this a possible hazard? I would
>see it as a potential one because dry ice doesn't remain that way
>indefinitely at -20C.
>

>George

It might be a problem, depending on how air tight the room is (they usually
are tight), and how much is stored in there and for how long.  I have heard
of a case where the CO2 buildup was significant and someone who went into
the room fainted.  A -70 freezer or an insulated storage box in an open
area is probably better.