Supplier of Hygromycin B

Donald A. Lehn donnel at helix.nih.gov
Thu Apr 30 14:55:46 EST 1992

In article <920330.170633.kbrevik at pcdnr40> kbrevik at radium.uio.no (Kristin Brevik Andersson) writes:
/>
/>Suddenly , all the major companies (Serva, Sigma, Boeringer) have withdrawn
/>Hygromycin B from the market (without any comment or reason ..)
/>
/>That puts me in a real fix, because I am using Hygromycin B for selection of
/>stabley transfected human B-lymphoid cells (hygromycin works a lot better than
/>f.eks. Geneticin).
/>
/>I'm probably not the only one using eukaryotic expression vectors based on
/>Hygromycin selection....
/>
/>Does anyone know of an alternative source for Hygromycin B, or heard of a
/>reason for withdrawal from the market????????
/>
/>Kristin Brevik Andersson
/>kbrevik at radium.uio.no

I too would like to know why it appears to have been withdrawn.  Perhaps the
company that holds the liscense on it has discovered a new use for it and
is letting a supply dry up before an announcement.  A similar thing happened
with AZT.  You used to be able to get it very inexpensively from several
suppliers before it was announced as a treatment for AIDS.

There is one supplier of Hygromycin B: It is:

Calbiochem
P.O. Box 12087
San Diego, CA 92112-4180

(800) 854-3417

400051 Hygromycin B	       250,000 units $24.00
			     1,000,000 units  62.00
			 5 x 1,000,000 units 248.00
			    10,000,000 units 434.00

Hope this helps

--
Donald A. Lehn, Ph.D.                      Phone: (301) 496-2885
Bldg.37 Rm 3D20                            FAX:   (301) 496-8419
National Cancer Institute / NIH            Email: donnel at helix.nih.gov
Bethesda MD 20892