Price of Oligos from "Re: PCR CONTAMINATION"

Alan P Arnold apa at ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au
Sat Apr 25 03:05:50 EST 1992

bhjelle at vaxine.unm.edu (Brian Hjelle) writes:

>In article <k?o.703966394 at soma.umdnj.edu> byrne at soma.umdnj.edu (Bruce Byrne) writes:
.....[ much stuff deleted]
>Yes! Yes! Trying to purify your own oligos in the lab is a prescription
>for disaster. We buy ours from Oligos Etc, which are pretty good and
>run about $4.50 per base, no setup charge, and no purification
>charge (1 umol scale is $6.50/base).
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 As an inorganic chemist interested in the interactions of metal-ion
 complexes with oligonucletides, I know that I'm trespassing where
 I don't belong, but this price grabbed my attention!

 Can this really be the commercial price for oligos on the micromole
 scale? Down here I was under the (hopefully mistaken) impression
 that synthetic oligos (12-mers) would cost us several thousand
 dollars for 25mg.  Can I buy 25mg of eg. the Dickerson(?) dodecamer
 for 12x$6.50 = $78/micromol ??

----
Alan Arnold             	     |  e-mail: apa at ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au
Chem. Department,University College  |  voice : +61 6 268 8080
Australian Defence Force Academy     |  fax   : +61 6 268 8002
CANBERRA  ACT 2600 Australia         |