colony lifts (fwd)

Walter Hill walterh at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Apr 21 11:29:43 EST 1992

On Fri, 17 Apr 1992, Nir Navot wrote:

> Hello there !!
> Does anybody out there use microwave iradiation to lyse bacterial colony lifts
> and bind the plasmid DNA to the filter??
> If so, how ?
> Many thanks,
> Nir Navot
> The Weizmann Institute of Science
> Rehovot
> Israel

Well, of course there's as many ways to do this as there are people in the
lab doing it.  We've have good luck with 0.5M NaOH and about 30 seconds of
microwaving at 600-700 watts (usually close to full power).  Some people
like to soak the filters in saline before microwaving and then treat with
NaOH.  Look at Datta et al., Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 53:2256 (1987).
Good Luck,  -Walt Hill

walterh at u.washington.edu (primary)           (secondary) WEH at FDACFSAN.BITNET
Food & Drug Admin., Seafood Products Research Center, Bothell, WA 98041-3012
                             "Cook it first"