PCR CONTAMINATION

Jorge L. Sepulveda Jorges at bcm.tmc.edu
Sun Apr 19 22:55:03 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr19.040009.17889 at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>
amaravad at copper.ucs.indiana.edu (ratnakar amaravadi) writes:
> We are facing a serious problem in our lab with template contamination
> in PCR reactions.  Anybody's ideas regarding where the contamination
> is coming from will be greatly appreciated.

We experienced exactly the same problem when amplifying sequences (CAT
gene) that are cloned and made in large amounts in our lab. Even moving to
a different room several yards appart and assembling all the reactions in
a laminar flow hood didn't totally solve the problem! However, lowering
the number of cycles to 20 produced no bands detectable with EtBr.
We have no problems when amplifying other sequences that are not made in
the lab in large amounts.

Jorge L. Sepulveda,

Dept. of Pathology,                        Email: Jorges at bcm.tmc.edu
Baylor College of Medicine                 Telephone: 713-798-7330
One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030        Telefax: 713-798-5838