DIGESTION OF PCR PRODUCTS

falquet at sc2a.unige.ch falquet at sc2a.unige.ch
Thu Apr 9 08:20:45 EST 1992

In article <9204010949.AA16192 at genbank.bio.net>, UDHA094 at OAK.CC.KCL.AC.UK (MARCEL KUIPER) writes:

> Dear colleagues,
>

> I am trying to introduce restriction sites at the 5' and 3' end of PCR
> products, to ligate the digested product in a vector. Until now I've
> been unsuccesfull in doing so. At the 5' end I've introduced a KpnI site
> with 6 bp in front of it; at the 3' end I've introduced a BglII site with
> 2 bp extra at the 3' end (should be sufficient according to the New England
> Catalog).
> After PCR, I treat the products with Proteinase K to remove Taq polymerase
> sticking to the ends, and digest the product with the restriction enzymes
> and ligate it into a vector digested with KpnI and BglII.
> Unfortunately, the transformed ligation product doesn't yield any colonies.
> Can someone help me solve this problem?
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
>

> Marcel Kuiper.

It is always difficult to cut close to the ends of a PCR product.

Try:
- Kinase the ends (Oligos for PCR don't have 5' phosphates)
- Blunt end your PCR products with Klenow
- Blunt ligate into a blunt cutted/cipped vector
- Transform, miniprep, digest with KpnI and BglII (this time they cut fine)
- Low melt purify your fragment
- Ligate into the final vector between KpnI & BglII sites.

It is longer but it works...

Laurent FALQUET and Eduardo GONZALEZ (U.K. Laemmli group)