protease mutants in fungi

Walt Lilly C749SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU
Tue Apr 7 17:28:55 EST 1992

We are trying to isolate mutants of a wood-decaying fungus that are
deficient in specific proteolytic enzyme activities.  Can anyone
offer advice on a selection scheme (using liquid media or plates)
which might allow us to find such mutants?  We know that the proposition
will be complicated by the fact that the fungus produces and secretes
several different proteases, including both endo- and exo- peptidases.

Does anyone know of any commercially available peptides conjugated to
a toxin....this seems like it might be an approach to select only for
protease- mutants.  Any thoughts?

*  WALT LILLY                     *                                    *
*  DEPARTMENT OF BIOLOGY          *  INTERNET: C749SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU *
*  SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE UNIV. *  BITNET: C749SCB at SEMOVM            *
*  CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO 63701       *                                    *