Homemade PCR gems

Joe Smith smithje at pobox.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 1 12:28:38 EST 1992

Has anyone perfected a method for producing "home-grown" wax pellets
for use in "hot-start" PCR?  We have been playing around with various
substances and have had reasonable success with Sigma Paraplast.  We
heat a few grams of the material in a few milliliters of sterile water
in the microwave until melted.  Then use a "sawed off" pasteur pipette
to drop the molten paraplast into cold sterile water to form the
"gems".  We are working on getting the size standardized.  The cost
per pellet is quite low.
	Any other ideas??
Al George