P32 decay etc.

BI1RGW at UK.AC.SHEFFIELD.IBM BI1RGW at UK.AC.SHEFFIELD.IBM
Mon Aug 3 08:38:09 EST 1992

What are people's experiences with P32-labelled probes left in the fridge/
freezer?  In my hands, high specific-activity probes are nigh on useless after
4 or 5 days.  I've always thought that this was because all those little
nuclear explosions had blown my nice probe into oligos.

Look at it from the phosphorus's point of view.  All of a sudden, you're turned
into a sulphur atom, bound to 4 very electrophilic oxygens.  I'm no chemist,
but that doesn't seem like a very stable arrangement to me.  My guess would be
that you'd go off in a huff with the first 2 oxygens you meet - SO2 :-)

Robin Walters                      Robert Hill Institute
                                   University of Sheffield
BI1RGW at IBM.SHEF.AC.UK              P.O. Box 594
                                   Sheffield S10 2UH.
+44 (0)742 768555 X4244            UK