polysaccharides in DNA extractions

Cornelius Krasel zxmkr08 at mailserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Aug 26 07:58:33 EST 1992

In <0095F54C.9C6B8720.236 at NTBTOX.NCTR.FDA.GOV> wmelchior at NTBTOX.NCTR.FDA.GOV ("Bill Melchior, NCTR/FDA") writes:

>>I am
>>looking for a way to chemically or enzymatically digest the poly-
>>saccharide without damaging the DNA.  Since DNA is also a
>>substituted polysaccharide, is this still possible?

>DNA and RNA are not polysaccharides in the usual sense, since they're
>linked through phosphate esters rather directly from sugar to sugar.
>I don't know for sure, but would be surprised if enzymes that digested
>one type of molecule would harm the other.  Trying chemical degradation
>of polysaccharides without damaging DNA could be riskier.

BioRad offers an enzyme called Gelase for the digestion of Agarose to
purify DNA from Agarose gels. The people in our lab who use it are very
satisfied with the results. Anyways, I don't know anything about the
substrate specifity of Gelase concerning other carbohydrates.

Cornelius.
--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Department of Physiological Chemistry, U Tuebingen    */
/* email: krasel at mailserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de (Internet)                  */