Protein-protein interactions

Cheung C. Yue ccy at po.CWRU.Edu
Wed Aug 26 05:10:44 EST 1992

In a previous article, zxmkr08 at mailserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de (Cornelius Krasel) says:

>This may be a fairly general question for bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts,
>but anyways... what kind of methods do exist for studying interactions
>between proteins, more specifically, to find proteins which interact with
>a known protein? So far, I am aware of crosslinking methods, followed by
>immunoprecipitation.

Yet another method is expression cloning.  An expression library is probed
with a labelled protein (or peptide domain of a protein) to search for
cDNA clones expressing an epitope which binds/interacts with the protein
probe.  That way, you get the gene for the interacting protein; thereby
saving enormous efforts in protein isolation, purification and sequencing.
A number of successful applications have appeared in the literature in
the recent past.

ccy at po.cwru.edu