polysaccharides in DNA extractions

Greg Adcock gjadcock at coombs.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 24 18:02:17 EST 1992

In article <920824145003.2020193e at ntet.nctr.fda.gov>, WMELCHIOR at NTET.NCTR.FDA.GOV (Bill Melchior, NCTR/FDA) writes:

> >DNA extractions for cacoa ( and some other tropical plants) are
> >extremely difficult due to the co precipitation of mucus with the
> >DNA.
>
> Have you tried the high salt precipitation method of Fang, Hammar, & Grumet,
> BioTechniques 13 #1, 52-56 (July 1992)?
>
> They add NaCl to a concentration of 0.5 M to 3 M, which they claim leads
> to precipitation of most of the polysaccharides.  See the paper for more
> detail and hints.

	The problem you describe is a real bummer. I worked in a botany lab where algae
(chloraracnion wqa reall bad) eucalypts were studied. Both of these had problems with co-precipitation of polysaccharides
and/or phenolics with the DNA. My simple answer to you is that "Qiagen" will magically
make clean DNA out of just about anything. This is an anion exchange column which, if
used carefully does not break genomic DNA up like some other similar resins. I use it
now to remove PCR-inhibitors from DNA extraced from ancient samples.

I hope this helps.

Yours in science...