InVitroGen Dipsticks?

John Nash num208jn at MBDS.NRC.CA
Wed Aug 19 14:07:06 EST 1992

In article <1992Aug19.171937.10562 at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, rrumpf at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Robert Rumpf) writes:
>Any netheads out there have any experience with the InVitroGen Dipsticks used
>for determining DNA quantity in solutions?  I have heard the literature claims
>of being as easy to use as litmus paper, sensitive enough to detect 20ng/ul
>with only a 1ul sample, etc.  What I would like are personal
>experiences/opinions, etc on whether this stuff works, is cost-effective,
>etc...
>
>Bob

The guy at the next workstation down from me tried them a coupla years
ago.  In my opinion, they were tedious, time-consuming and a pain to
use, and even though my colleague has left, the box has remained in my
fridge untouched. (If anybody passing through Ottawa wants it, drop
in).

IMO, petri plates containing 20 ml of 1% agarose + 0.5 ug/ml ethidium
bromide viewed under UV, and photographed,  with your sample and some
lambda DNA standards (ranging from 0.5 ug/ml to 10 ug/ml - use 5 ul)
spotted on them and dried, are just as accurate, and since I pour
these plates once or twice a year and store them in the dark, less of
a pain to set up!!  (Ref: The Cold Spring Harbor Lab. Manual. of circa
1980).  These plates can detect at least 5 ul of 0.5 ng/ul DNA in my
(and everybody else I've talked to who's tried it's) hands.  I usually
dilute my sample to within the range of the standards, and use it to
assay DNA conc. before'n'after PCR, labelling, ligations, etc...

Caution:  they take a bit of experience to read as the DNA dries as
more as a ring than a disc... but so did the dipstick.

If Jim Graham were to hold a "useless kit of the year contest", this
kit would have my vote.

John Nash                            | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
National Research Council of Canada  | Mail to "num208jn at mbds.nrc.ca"
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada              |    is forwarded automatically.

Disclaimer:  All opinions are mine, not NRC's!
*** "Dammit Jim!  I'm a Doctor not a tagline! *** (stolen from somebody)