Peltier PCR Instruments - Possible explaination of mixed reviews

John Nash num208jn at MBDS.NRC.CA
Wed Aug 19 08:59:27 EST 1992

In article <92232.080048BACKD at QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, <BACKD at QUCDN.QueensU.CA> writes:
>I had the first MJ machine placed in Canada. The peltier units failed
>about every 4 to 6 months. MJ was VERY accomodating in getting my unit
>repaired and returned to me ASAP at no charge. They continued to do so
>even after warrantee and even included software upgrades no charge.
>The peltier problems were so bad that the sales rep at the FASEB booth
>recognized my name and began a spontaneous round of apologies.
>
>The last peltier was installed during the summer on 1990. Since then
>we have had no further problems. I believe the MJ machine is one of
>the most versatile machines on the market. We use it for PCR, sequencing
>controlled rate annealling and occasionally for restriction digestion
>run at odd temperatures.
>
>Don Back
>Department of Biochemistry
>Queen's University
>Kingston, Ontario. CANADA.

Since we're recounting peltier stories...

I had one of the first COY TempCyclers (peltier unit) machines.  The
peltiers used to jam... at one time melting the tubes, and another
time freezing the block at -20decC.  COY/Diamed fixed the machine,
kept me happy with a loaner, and basically gutted my Model 50 and
replaced the innards with Model 60 parts.  It hasn't failed since
(touch wood), and I use it for PCRs, RAPDs, Cycle sequencing etc.

However.... I will NEVER again run a PCR/RAPD/Cycle sequence without
my temperature readout & chart-recorder hooked up!

John Nash                            | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
National Research Council of Canada  | Mail to "num208jn at mbds.nrc.ca"
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada              |    is forwarded automatically.

Disclaimer:  All opinions are mine, not NRC's!
Confession:  I've NEVER used a UNIX machine!