Putting down METHODS????

Fri Aug 7 20:19:18 EST 1992

> "Wasted bandwidth" is never the problem, it is the time of the readers,
> which is what you were talking about all along.
>
> A BIG CHEESE I sometimes hear from puts down methods, saying "I've never
> heard of any of the people who post to methods.  When I have a question,
> I call up the OTHER BIG CHEESE and ask him."

A belated comment on this (which made my blood boil a bit): While
there is obviously sterling logic in calling the expert in the field,
what harm can come from also sending out a posting and seeing if
anything positive turns up??

BIG CHEESES sometimes forget that they were little once (in the very
*dim* past 8-).  One assumes that they became BIG by having good ideas
*when* they were *little* which, **fortunately for them**, other BIG
people listened to and agreed with.  Seems like there is a certain
arrogance here when one is *only* willing to listen to someone BIG.
This also betrays a cookbook approach to science.  Do we still
**think** about experimental methods or do we just **collect Julia
Child's recipes exclusively**??!!

Dave Kristofferson, Chef, er, Ph.D.