Handling 4% NuSieve Gels

mike morris morris at medsun.unige.ch
Fri Aug 7 03:11:38 EST 1992

In article <Baxevanis-060892135031 at 128.231.218.100>, Baxevanis at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov (Andy) writes:
> I'm running a lot of 4% NuSieve agarose gels to resolve low molecular
> weight
> products and am having trouble physically handling the gels when moving
> them
> out of the staining tray and onto the light box -- a required move since
> the
> glass absorbs quite a bit of the UV light.  Any suggestions on
> strengthening
> the gels (addition of regular agarose, etc.)?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Andy

I routinely run thick agarose gels for PCRs. I *always* use 1% normal
agarose (I like BioRad's mol. biol. grade) + 1 - 4%  NuSieve. This works
fine, and saves money.
Above 5% total, I use pure NuSuieve (it's just possible to do 6%, which
resolves fragments well below 100 bp).
Incidentally, we reuse the thicker gels - just melt 'em down, squirt in
a bit more EtBr, and pour. For straight analysis (*not* preparative) I've
used gels 5 or 6 times.

Hope this helps.

Mike