Handling 4% NuSieve Gels

ww40 William_D_WARREN at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Thu Aug 6 14:31:00 EST 1992

>I'm running a lot of 4% NuSieve agarose gels to resolve low molecular
>weight products and am having trouble physically handling the gels when
>moving them out of the staining tray and onto the light box -- a required
>move since the glass absorbs quite a bit of the UV light.  Any suggestions
>on strengthening the gels (addition of regular agarose, etc.)?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Andy

Andy,

I have no experience with NuSieve but have on occasion used normal agarose
down as low as 0.4% and have gotten around the fragility problem by first
pouring a 2 or 3% Agarose base to the gel, just thin enough to cover the
bottom of the casting tray but not so thick as to reach the bottom of the
wells. After this has set I then set the comb in place and pour the
desired gel concentration directly on top. Sample runs through the top
layer, bottom gives the desired support :)

Hope this helps

Bill
Ctr. Ag. Biotech.
Univ. of Maryland